Wednesday, February 11, 2009



Unexpected Gift
originally written 5/19/08

Do not use harmful words, but only helpful words, the kind that build up and provide what is needed, so that what you say will do good to those who hear you. Ephesians 4: 29.

It was just want I needed. We never know the impact we leave on someone as we approach with our words; either in person, over the phone, or even by letter or email. That is why Paul reminds us to choose our words carefully, so that the results will be encouraging and helpful.

Today, I was surprised with this very gift, an unexpected gift, which made it all the more precious. A very dear Christian friend approached me, taking my hands into hers. As we greeted one another with a hug and hello, she looked at me directly in the eyes. She reminded me that she has been praying for me and always will.

Sometimes we allow ourselves to become distant and forget that others care. We become lonely as we isolate ourselves. We go into the self-protective mode not wanting to expose our thoughts or feelings. Our lives become filled with over whelming results; we redraw from those that can provide us with comfort and concern.

Today, I was given this unexpected gift. My friend remained mindful and considerate and she chose her words carefully. She gave me encouragement and hope. We never know who may need that kind of support or hand squeeze. Pray that God give you the words worthy of the One who saved us. I am so thankful for my friend. Her kindness, warmth and love, took my breath away.

Oh, I will also mention, the bonus; I always got a much needed hug. Thank you my friend. Your gift will forever remain in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment