Monday, February 9, 2009


Believing in Prayer
originally written 7/11/08

Trust GOD from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; he's the one who will keep you on track. Don't assume that you know it all. Run to GOD! Run from evil!
Your body will glow with health; your very bones will vibrate with life!
Honor GOD with everything you own; give him the first and the best. Your barns will burst your wine vats will brim over. Proverbs 3: 5-10

I was taken by surprise this week after having a conversation at work. A co-worker and I were having a chat about a situation in our work place. We both expressed our thoughts and opinions on the subject and laughed over the absurdity the issue has caused. In the middle of the conversation the co-worker states, “I’m not a big believer in prayer, but when this ‘thing’ was about to occur, I prayed it wouldn’t.”

I’m glad I have good muscle control over my jaw, because otherwise, I may have stood there with my mouth ajar after hearing the statement. From that point all I heard coming from my co-worker was, “mwah, mwah, mwah,” similar to Charlie Brown’s teacher. I had lost interest with the subject at hand and could only focus on what she has just admitted. Maybe I did drop my jaw with bewilderment after all.

The words stung me. Maybe it’s because I do believe in prayer. Maybe it’s because I do go to my Father with my thoughts, concerns and praises. Maybe it’s because I’m finishing up an extraordinary book by Sheila Walsh, titled 'Get Off Your Knees and Pray.' In this case you can judge a book by its cover, because it is about prayer. It’s a MUST READ, if every given the opportunity. It is how we relate to our God in prayer and how He relates to us. One of my favorites quotes from the book states: “There is no greater gift we can give God than our trust and there is nothing more liberating than to do it in prayer.”

When I first heard this statement by my co-worker, it saddened me. But after some thought I put it into perspective. God wanted me to hear her speak these words. If she went as far to say that she is willing to go to God for this one ‘thing’, then maybe her heart will be open to getting to know God more. We never know a persons heart by looking at them from the outside, nor is it our right to judge. However, I am thinking God brought this to my attention to remind me not to forget to pray for those seeking His presence. I don’t know this person’s heart, but God does. As a believer in Jesus my Savior, I do believe in prayer. I do believe God in control of all things. I do believe He places us in unusual situations to remind us that we are not all alike, yet all can call on our Father. I took this as a lesson to pray for those that may not know Jesus. I thank God for bringing this example to my attention. I thank my God for all things. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment